Wednesday, November 27, 2013

A pretty spider in late November

I had planned for a leisurely walk through the arboretum today, hoping to find a few bugs and take a few pictures. I was dismayed but not surprised to find that I have pretty much forgotten how to work my Canon camera that I bought last spring. Seriously. (I can also attest that, in spite of the time-worn saying that assures, "You never forget how to ride a bicycle", I have.)

But I was fairly satisfied with this photo of a Banded Argiope spider in a clump of tall grass. Argiope is a common orb-weaver, harmless to people. It has been a few years since I saw the black and yellow kind at the arboretum, and I'm pretty sure this was my first banded one. So it was nice to find her. Hopefully there is a male out there for her, and she will have (or maybe already had) a chance to mate and lay eggs, and maybe next year there will be more of these hideous and lovely creatures. And hopefully by then, I will have re-learned how to use my camera. Hopefully.

Banded Argiope

2 comments:

  1. Nice! And don't feel bad, I have to re-learn mine every time I pick it up. :P

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...