Saturday, April 06, 2013

Meeting a new friend leads me to vicarious blogging


In the midst of my current blogging slump, I have been getting out a bit and seeing some nature and finding some bugs. And I have been fortunate to meet a kindred spirit from the blogosphere. I found Cheryl's blog in 2011, just by chance, as I was looking to identify what turned out to be a furcula caterpillar. She lives in West Virginia, but has been out here staying with family for a while. We met face to face at the Arboretum, and since then we have gone on a couple of fun outings.

Like me, Cheryl uses a point and shoot camera, and the beauty and clarity of her images has made me realize that part of my blogging dissatisfaction is just because I'm unhappy with my cameras. (yeah, I'm blaming the cameras. again.) But seriously, my little old Canon is on its last legs. The light settings I have come to depend on are no longer working the way they should, and images often come out too light or too dark. And now there is a disconcerting grinding noise every time I turn it on and off, when the lens goes in and out. Then there is my iPhone camera. It's handy, it's spontaneous, and there are loads of cool apps that can enhance my pictures. And I have decided that it will never be my preferred camera for taking bug photos. It's just too hard to hold it. Focus, on little things up close is hit-and-miss. So I've decided that I really do need to get a new camera.

Anyway, last month, Cheryl and I visited the Tidepools at Little Corona Del Mar during a great minus tide. And while I was struggling nervously to keep my balance on the nearer rocks without dropping my iPhone in the water, she actually made it much further out, and got all the pictures I wish I could have, and more. You can see them here.

Then last week, we took a nature walk on the Claremont Hills Wilderness Trail. This place is less than an hour from my house and I'd never been there. Among the pictures Cheryl took that day were a shot of the Lorquin's Admiral butterfly we saw, a first for me, and a tiny baby rattlesnake that had just been run over by a bicycle.

This week, I have managed to get a few of my own images. I'll try to get them posted soon!







3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nice compliments. As a result of our trip to the wilderness area I bought an ipod touch so I could have those apps like you do. Seems we are a good influence on each other. Can't wait to see photos from your new toy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...