Thursday, April 25, 2013

A new bug at the Arboretum


Black Stinkbug, Proxys punctulatus

After a tour this morning, I noticed this bug on some low plants beside the trail. As I got closer to take its picture with my phone, I noticed that it had a little white spot. I thought it was just debris or something, until I saw an identical bug nearby with an identical white spot. In a few seconds, I realized there were quite a few of these bugs. With the idea in my head that I would return tomorrow with the "good" camera, I at least took the time just now to identify this guy: Proxys punctulatus, the Black Stink Bug. And in doing so, I have found that it might just be a newcomer to these parts. BugGuide lists its range only as far west as Arizona. In a little further searching, I have still not found any mention of this bug in California. So maybe I need to look a little harder. Or maybe this is something new.

Like most other stinkbugs, it's a plant-sucker. Hopefully it will not turn out to be an invasive pest. I will try to get some more pictures of it soon.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might want to report this one as an invasive so it can be monitored. We have real problem in wv with stink bugs damaging crops be a different invasive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a native species. Here is a great page for more information: http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/bugs/black_stink_bug.htm

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...