Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A couple of moth-y nights in the desert

We spent the weekend in Yucca Valley, and I brought my blacklight. There was a good collection of moths to be found in the morning.

moth

64-IMG_0436

07-IMG_0172

38-IMG_0314

39-IMG_0326

45-IMG_0350

48-IMG_0360

53-IMG_0370

49-IMG_0364

46-IMG_0353

66-IMG_0445

White Line Sphinx

With the exception of this last one, the White Lined Sphinx, I don't know the names of all these moths, although their shapes are familiar. Hopefully someday I'll find out their names.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely moths ... but their names are as mysterious as the night to me too!

    (and I am way out east as well)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great weekend!!! Beautiful moths!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! That new camera is really nice, I may have to look into one for myself. I left my moth book at home thinking I wouldn't need it. Silly me. The new Petersons Moth book by Seabrook Locke is fantastic and I think you will be able to easily find most of the moths even though it is primarily for the east coast. Check it out in the library first to make sure I am right.

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...