Friday, January 11, 2013

Feeling halfway crabby

But maybe not as crabby as this actual crab:
Half a crab?
I was walking on the beach the other day, when I came upon what I thought was just part of a dead crab that had washed up at the edge of the water. I gave it a little poke, and was surprised to see that it moved.

crab underside
I turned it over and saw that it was a complete, intact, and very stubby female crab, with eggs, even. Don't worry. I turned her right side up again

I was taking advantage of a recent minus-tide for beach exploring. In fact, I try to plan my beach visits specifically during the lowest tide, the better to find stuff. I climbed around the rocky tidepools a little bit, but this becomes physically more difficult for me every year, and since I was by myself without even my phone, I didn't want to risk a fall. But that's OK. It's nice just being on the beach. And on a chilly January day, midweek, it was pretty deserted.

Thinking optimistically, I had brought an empty bread bag with me, in case I found more good shells than would fit in my pocket. But I actually didn't see too many treasures that I really felt compelled to collect, so I decided to use my bread bag to collect trash, which was almost as plentiful as the shells in some spots.

My collection this time
My trash collection

One-footed seagull
This little gull, missing one foot, followed me for a bit as I collected the trash. I wonder if he thought I might have something to eat in there.

The spots you see on the bird photo are from bits of dust that have worked their way inside the lens of my little Canon camera. It doesn't usually show up in macro mode, but it's almost inescapable in longer shots. There's no way to get the dust out. Well, I suppose I could send it away somewhere to be taken apart and cleaned, but that would cost about as much as a new camera, which is why I decided to get the iPhone. (and also because I needed a new phone).

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy!! Love that strange looking gal crab you found, and all the trash you picked up too! You are a good girl!!! That gull picture is so darn sharp...just beautiful! I just upgraded to an I Phone 4, with my ATT plan, for just 99 cents. I had an droid previously. Am loving the simplicity of the Apple product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that crab does not look like any crab i've ever seen!! what a beauty!!

    we are so much alike...i like the lower tide...for collecting. and picking up other people's litter too...what a shame that people are so thoughtless when it comes to dropping or tossing their garbage where ever they happen to be! =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing I had sand between my toes! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is a shame to find that much trash on the beach :(

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...