Monday, December 03, 2012

A fitting (and spitting) farewell

A spitting farewell
This is the same sweet Iris oratoria that I blogged about here. A couple of weeks ago, I returned her to the same plant at the arboretum where I had found her. I tried to get one farewell shot of her, and as I was (and still am) getting used to using my new iPhone camera, it was kind of tricky.

I tried poking and prodding her to get her into a better position. She got tired of that pretty quick, and opened her wings in a threat display. Of course, I consider her open wings to be more beautiful than threatening, and as I fiddled with my camera, she relaxed a little and started to close her wings.

"No, no, wait!" I said, and goosed her again. The wings shot back up, but she added a yucky black spit bubble for good measure. I had forgotten that these mantids will do that sometimes. Yuck. Well, this is probably my last mantid photo of the season.

Here's to next year!

6 comments:

  1. You don't know how many shots get deleted for each one that I post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take that into account! yet you still get the great shot! :-) Congrats! Aren't we so glad we lived to see digital come into being (among other things).

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!! i am always amazed at the unbelievable mantid shots you get!! even if you DO take LOTS...it's STILL awesome!! the close ups of their little faces!!

    ok, so i don't think i EVER saw one with her wings spread like that!! and i KNOW i never saw one with a spit bubble coming out her mouth!!
    OH the things we endure...for the LOVE of bugs!! haha!!

    Fare thee well little Iris Oratoria!! =:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! My sister and I saw one with the wings spread like this once when we were teenagers. I've tried to find images of it and this is the first I've seen. I was so excited to see this!! Thanks for all your awesome bug images!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting blog. You have fantastic pics in it :)
    Have a really nice day!

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...