Wednesday, May 02, 2012

What's in a snail?

back lit morning snail
Last week, on a sunny morning, I took this picture of a little snail as it crossed the sidewalk in front of my house. I later realized that I could sort of see through him. This was a much different and much more pleasant sight than what I usually see of snail innards, which is squished snail guts on the sidewalk! So what are all those parts there that I can see? I decided to find out!




Google provided me with many diagrams of snail anatomy. I liked this one because it was colorful and easy to read, and the snail in the diagram was positioned just like my snail photo. (and if you click the photo, it will take you to the Snail World website, where I found it.)



inside a snail
Unfortunately, the real thing still looks different from the diagram to my untrained eye, so I wasn't sure what I was seeing in my photo. I labeled the few things I thought I could recognize. The only organ I had actually seen before (without realizing what it was at the time) was the lung,   Hoping Aydin from Snail's Tales will see this and help me fill in the blanks.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...