Sunday, May 20, 2012

Golden Mealybugs

At the arboretum, we have several trees of the genus Araucaria. They are conifers from the southern hemisphere. A couple of years ago, they suffered a hefty infestation of mealybugs, which I only became aware of when I saw all the predatory mealybug destroyers all over the trees. At that time, I was unable to find the offending mealybugs, but I have been on the lookout for them, and this week, I found them, once again on the bunya-bunya tree.

tiny mealybugs
First I saw the baby ones.

golden mealybugs
Then some larger ones.

golden mealybugs
Some parts of the tree were really crowded with them. I have identified them as Golden Mealybugs, Nipaecoccus aurilanatus.

mealybug destroyers
Once again, the destroyers (these white bugs) are on the attack, but right now, they are vastly outnumbered by their prey.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...