Saturday, November 05, 2011

My last mantis of the year?

I found this brown mantis almost a month ago at the arboretum, at my final public bug safari tour of the year. I was hoping I would see at least one more mantis there today, and there might still be one or two, here and there, but I didn't find any. So this may be my last one for the year. She's a pretty one, though. pretty mantid


Pretty brown pattern
Look at the beautiful mottling on her wings and abdomen.
  A fond farewell I'll miss the sweet triangular faces, till next spring.

Also last month, I started my sabbatical, if you can call it that when I am only a volunteer. But it's been almost ten years for the arboretum and 20 years for the schools, and I need a break. I'm taking a selfish year off from all my volunteering. I still plan to continue taking pictures of bugs whenever I can, but I'm also trying to do other things, like finally remodeling my house, which is still trapped in the 60's, 70's, and 80's.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...