Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Park update

A few weeks ago, I posted about my walk through the park, and how some of the vegetation along the creek had been cut down.  And I posted pictures of a lovely big brown mantis that I brought home.  At the time, an anonymous person commented about how I should not have taken the mantis.  So I did some checking and, you know what?  Anonymous was right (dang it!)  You need a permit to collect anything, even a common praying mantis.  So I returned it.  And, no, I don't think I'll be getting myself a collecting permit.  It costs too much money, and I don't even know if they would give me one anyway, since I'm not a teacher or a scientist, and besides, I can find mantids in my own yard, for Pete's sake.

But the other day, I went back to the park again, and was not thrilled with what I saw.  They had sprayed all over the place with what I'm pretty sure is some kind of weed killer.  The spray is colored a dark blue-green, so you can see where they sprayed it. see all the spots they sprayed? they sprayed here they sprayed here caught in the spray they sprayed here It's a little harder to see the blue-green stuff at the creek, but it's there. (some of what you see in this picture is actually a blue-green net/fabric stuff that holds the bank in place.) they sprayed here
But you can see it here.
  they sprayed here And here.

  in the spray zone
This mantis was the plump green sub-adult in my previous park post.
  in the spray zone She was caught in the spray.

So I'm not allowed to collect stuff there.  And I guess they have to control the invasive plants growing in the park and clogging up the streams. I can only guess at what's in the weed killer, and how toxic it might be to the animals that live in the spray zone.  I can only guess why I saw so few frogs in the creek this time, too.

I find it a little ironic that it's not OK for me to take one or two bugs here and there, bugs that would be carefully housed and well fed,  but it's OK for many more bugs and other critters to be displaced or even killed by normal park maintenance.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...