Sunday, September 11, 2011

A walk in the park

under the sycamore trees. Summer was a long time coming this year.
  Fall Preview But fall is just around the corner.
  The creek today I went for a walk in the park this morning. The creek area that was so full of life earlier this summer has been partially mowed down. The cottonwood shoots are gone, along with about half of the other plants growing in and along the creek.
  froggie There are still frogs, although not as many as before. This was a "big" one at over an inch (from snout to vent.) Most were much smaller.
  mantis There were several good sized mantid nymphs hanging out on the remaining creek vegetation. They could easily grab the little frogs. I don't know if they have actually been eating them, and I don't want to know.
  she barely fit in the jar My prize for the day was this magnificent milk-chocolate S. limbata female. She barely fit into the little jar I brought along "just in case."

  pretty (I think she's pretty)
She was stuffed in the little jar for about half an hour, while I walked home from the park. When I let her out, she spent several minutes grooming herself, and then she gave me a little smile.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...