Thursday, August 11, 2011

A skinny spider-mama

In answer to Tracie's question about whether the female green lynx "gets skinny after bearing children," yes she does!
Green Lynx mama with egg case
I looked back through my old posts, sure that I must have posted a picture of a skinny spider-mama, but I couldn't find one on the blog. I did have one on my computer, though. From November 2003!

After she lays her eggs, she will stay with the egg case and guard it. Even after the babies hatch in the fall, they will all stay in a clump and she will remain with them until they are ready to venture off on their own. If they happen to be located in an area where the flowers are still blooming and attracting insects for her to eat, the mama may fatten up enough to make another egg case.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...