Thursday, August 18, 2011

An expressive face

Is it just me, or does a mantis seem to look you right in the eye? And not only that, depending on the position of its head, or my position relative to its head, the expressions seem to change. I can see it in these photos, and I captioned each one based on the expression I saw:

beguiling
beguiling

mischievous
mischievous

wary
wary

attentive
attentive

perky
perky

crafty
crafty (like a fox)

Oh, and by the way, those little black dots in the eyes? The ones that look like pupils? They're actually not. They're an optical illusion called pseudopupils. It has something to do with the way the light hits the surface of the mantid's large compound eyes. Part of the light is absorbed, part is reflected. Something like that. And it causes the perceived appearance of those little black dots.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...