Saturday, May 14, 2011

Asian ladybugs

Asian Ladybug
There have been a bunch of ladybugs in the tree in my backyard. I kind of collected a few just to take pictures and compare them.
Asian ladybug pupa
I was intrigued by the different spots on the pupae. I wanted to see how different the adult ladybugs would look.
Asian ladybug pupa

Asian ladybug pupa shell
I haven't been lucky enough to see one emerge... yet.
The new beetle
But when they first come out, they're yellow and spotless.

The new beetle
The spots become visible as the shell hardens.

Asian Ladybug

Asian Ladybug

Asian Ladybug

The three ladybugs above all have the same number of spots in roughly the same pattern, but the spots are different shapes and sizes. Also the pronotum, the black and white part behind the head, is different in each one.

6 comments:

  1. This is amazing! How lucky that you have the talent and skill to capture the transition! I'm currently writing a children's book that includes both ladybugs and asian lady beetles. I find your blog fascinating! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, thank you for the fascinating post. I did not know ladybugs underwent that sort of transformation. The photos you got are fabulous. While I'm here, I'd like to ask your permission to use "her" photos as reference for a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies :)
    Studio (or can I call you Kathryn?), you are welcome to use my photos as reference for your painting. Would love to see the finished artwork.

    That goes for you too, Dione. Don't forget to show me your book ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cool. I'm going to look up the life cycle of ladybugs now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cute!


    makes me want to run out and buy a VW in every color!

    (when I win the lottery that is)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love ladybugs! And these shots are so awesome. I didn't know that they emerge with no spots first. You have the greatest info.

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...