Sunday, September 20, 2009

Nothing thrilling under my rocks today

Today is International Rock Flipping Day, and I was out early in search of some good "look-unders" but I wasn't too thrilled with what I found.

A colony of ants, suddenly exposed, scurries to protect their babies (the little white things). I can't tell you how many rocks have ants under them, or how uninterested I am in them. These are Argentine ants, and they are everywhere, all year long. There was a nice little video someone took of what appears to be a similar frenzy of exposed ants. You have, maybe, 5 seconds before you have ants running up your legs. Time to put the rock back and move on.

A few isopods.

This sowbug killer spider has good "ick" value, but still nothing I haven't seen a bunch of times over.

I don't know if I'll get a chance to do any more look-unders today. It's too hot out right now.

In the meantime, check out other peoples' findings on Flickr, and also on the Wanderin' Weeta Blog


  1. The sowbug killer spider has a real yuck look alright!!! Ewwww.

  2. Interesting, I think the spider is the best looking of the bunch! And what a name!

  3. That sowbug killer spider is awesome! Fantastic image - nice and sharp and great colour, very cool! Kudos.

  4. Sadly, the sowbug spider picture didn't load for me, so I missed it. I'll check back another time. I'm happy to have found your blog and now I know where to come when I have bug questions!

  5. Great spider! I'm guessing we don't have those in KS - never seen one anyway. Their colors are nice.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...