Thursday, August 20, 2009

Utah grasshopper diversity


There were lots of grasshoppers just about everywhere we went. I think this one was by the side of the road on the way to the northern part of Zion.


In Bryce Canyon, this brown fellow made a lot of noise as he was flying. I followed the sound and saw what appeared to be a large grasshopper with yellow wings. Once he landed and I was able to sneak up on him, he really wasn't very big. He was very well camoflauged, and his yellow inner wings were all folded up, so I couldn't see them.




Another little grasshopper with red legs.



There were lots of these pretty green ones.


These green ones were all (as far as I could tell) females, and they had short wings, so they probably couldn't fly.



A lot of them had "dates". The boys were all brownish.


These lovers were yet another species.








We saw a rather large grasshopper shed skin on a trail. It looked like a gray bird, but I didn't see any of the actual grasshoppers....


...but I did see a bunch of these beauties. Green Bird grasshoppers! These were a first for me. They were at the Zion Visitor Center.



A dorsal view.







A little desert grasshopper in Amboy, in the California desert along Route 66, on our way home.

Now you see him...



Now you don't! Well, maybe you still do!














Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...