Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The ultimate sacrifice

Earlier this month I posted pictures of my Iris oratoria mantids. A few days later, I put them together in a large butterfly pavilion, hoping they would mate. I released some flies in there every day, so they had food. The male watched the female every day, and very slowly over several days crept to within a couple of inches of her. They remained in a face-off for a few days. I checked them morning, noon and night. This afternoon, it had finally happened, and in the classic mantid fashion. As his rear end was busily doing its paternal duty, his front end was being devoured by the female.





I had to leave to go to a meeting. When I came home, all that was left of him were a few scattered parts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...