Saturday, October 27, 2007

Sulphur caterpillar eggs hatched

The sulphur eggs hatched Wednesday night, all within a couple hours of each other. I did my best to try to take pictures, but the lighting was not too good. Still, you can see one little guy eating his egg shell.

I transferred the tiny 'pillars to the little senna cutting, and very quickly lost sight of them among the leaves. Soon, the cutting began to seriously wilt. I guess it's too delicate to just keep in a container of water like I do with some other plants. I had to take it back to the arboretum and nestle the cutting into the branches of the senna plant, hoping the baby caterpillars, if they were even still there, would find their way to fresh food.


The good news: I was able to find some bigger sulphur caterpillars today. They really are beautiful.


Those dark blue spots have tiny hairs coming from them, most of which seem to be topped by a tiny dewdrop. I don't know if these are actually dewdrops or secretions from the caterpillar.
I'll try to find out.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...