Sunday, September 02, 2007

How did I almost miss THIS?


International Rock Flipping Day!
I only found out about this about an hour ago. My first thought was, "Dang! Missed it by that much!"

But wait! What's stopping me, aside from the lateness of the hour and 104-degree(!) heat, from going outside and turning over a rock? Nothing, that's what! And conveniently, just steps away from my front door is a rock I brought home from a vacation trip several years ago.



There's my rock. I didn't even bother to remove the trashy little empty plant-pot first.



And, Eureka! A spider guarding her egg sac.

Hopefully if they have this next year, I'll be better prepared, and maybe go somewhere that has a chance to find something a little more unusual. But hey, I'm in!

6 comments:

  1. count me in too!

    say hey! is there a Log Turning Over Day that we can get in on at its start?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cindy,
    Nice to discover a new rock flipper but I am with ...kat in that I think we need a Log Turning Over Day. We have lots of "logs" to turn over but damn few rocks on our property. Perhaps the three of us could start our own "Day of Log Turning." I bet a lot of the rock flippers would join us.
    Dean (aka Ontario Wanderer)

    I'll be adding some last minute rocks to my blog today but they are already on my Flickr account. Have a look if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rocks, logs, the odd piece of old carpet...if something can hide under it, I'm all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cindy, your blog-bug is nice too. Nice to find another bugs-friend!!!!
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss this??!?? I even had it marked on my calendar. Chalk it up to obsessing about flies . . . better luck next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of life under rocks in normal times. We have been so hot and dry this summer that even the bugs are going further underground to rest I think. Often I only find dry dirt with trails under our logs.

    ReplyDelete

Reluctantly, I have reinstated the word verification for all comments on this blog. I don't like it any more than you do, but the rate of breakthrough spam was even more annoying. Thanks for understanding.

Cindy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...