Monday, August 13, 2007

Black widow: admiration and extermination

Spiders gross me out and fascinate me at the same time. They are at once beautiful and hideous. (Although I do think jumping spiders are cute.) But for the most part, I operate on a live and let live basis when it comes to spiders.

Except for black widows.

Jerry has a strong aversion to spiders in general. And zero tolerance for black widows. So when I find them around the yard, I will kill them. This was the third of 3 sub-adult females I found in less than 24 hours, and the only one I was able to find in broad daylight, so before I killed her, I admired her hideous beauty and took a few pictures.










She had two males in attendance. Here's one where you can see his hourglass. (sort of)



And here is a photo demonstrating my easy "one-step" method for spider extermination.

Yes, the spider is under my shoe. I did take a picture of it after I moved my foot, but elected not to post it. You'll have to take my word for it. Be assured that this method of extermination is instantaneous and therefore painless. I should be so lucky when my time comes.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...