Friday, August 11, 2006

Buckeye and friends

I don't think I mentioned it in my previous Buckeye post, but I did bring home 2 caterpillars. I selected the largest ones I could find, so they would pupate soon. And they did. Here's one.






I was amazed that their host plant, (this "water weed", whatever it is), rooted incredibly fast. My caterpillars were done with it in just a couple of days, but by then the cuttings were sprouting out with roots.




I also discovered that it was full of tiny inchworm/looper-type caterpillars. So I kept the weed in its jar of water, and now, about a week later, some of the little inchworms are big enough for me to take pictures of:








Sometimes they hang straight down, like this one is doing.




And today, while looking at all the inchworms, I noticed a new little buckeye caterpillar. When I collected the original caterpillars and the plant, he was either still in his egg, or just a tiny hatchling that I hadn't seen.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...