Wednesday, July 26, 2006

One that got away...

Last night, since by some miracle it was starting to cool off a little, we went to the park. Jerry and Brice played racketball while I prowled around for bugs. I didn't want to bring my collecting stuff and my camera, so I just brought my camera. I saw two mantids and a bunch of grasshoppers, both of which I have oodles of pictures of already, but I decided I would come back and collect them this morning. (the mantids to add to the dwindling gene-pool in my yard, and the grasshoppers to feed to Spike, my aging bearded dragon.)

So, back to the park this morning with my collecting stuff, but no camera. I collected some grasshoppers and was able to re-find one of the mantids, a male. But I also saw a really cool wasp hunting along the ground, down in the dead grass. It was at least 2 inches long, and the body was a bright iridescent blue. Its eyes were blue, too, and they gave me a look that said "Hey, I'm a magic wasp and you can't catch me!" Of course, I tried to catch it in my net, but after a few tries, it flew away and I lost sight of it. Bummer. I tried to search online for a "big blue iridescent wasp", but so far I haven't found anything yet.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...