Thursday, May 18, 2006

It's Slug Safari

I have always had what I suppose you could call a passing interest in snails and slugs. (I can't pass one by without stopping for a closer look!) Even though they're destructive in the garden and slimy to boot, there is something undeniably cool about them. After all, they are mollusks!

And since I found the blog SNAIL'S TALES, I have been inspired to take pictures of some of the many slugs that inhabit my own yard. We actually have several different kinds. At least I think they're different kinds. Maybe it's all one kind, and they just come in different colors. Maybe I should find out....



There were these stripey ones.


And these leopard-kinda-spotty ones. Look, you can see his breathing hole.



The striped and spotty ones were the most active. I couldn't get them to hold still.
I like the ripply texture on their backs.




This little pale one barely moved. He barely even extended his eye-stalks.


The black ones were also very shy. This guy took forever to "wake up". There was another black one that never moved during the whole photo session.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...