Monday, May 29, 2006

Anise swallowtail caterpillar and snails


I collected this little caterpillar yesterday on a trail walk.



I also brought home a couple of snails. They are the pale-shelled ones, and they are posing next to one of our "regular" garden snails. The trail is maybe 1.5 miles away, but for some reason we don't have them. So I have decided to introduce a few.

Why do I want to introduce a pest into my garden? Well, I already have the brown kind, and plenty of them. So I might as well have this kind, too. I like bio-diversity, even in my pest bugs. Several years ago, I noticed there were decollate snails at our nearest park, only blocks away. We didn't have those in our yard either. Then I started sticking a few in my pockets every time I walked through the park. Now they are established here, too.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...