Saturday, May 21, 2005

In the hills near Idyllwild

Jerry and I drove about 100 miles to Idyllwild, just to check it out as a potential vacation cabin destination. (It was just so-so, but it was still a fun way to pass the day.) On the way home, I asked him to pull over so we could check out these purple-flowered shrubs, and we subsequently found out they were full of bugs!

I looked these up in my plant book when I got home. It's "Wooly Yerba Santa."




These are timemas, a kind of phasmid. The yerba plants were full of them, mostly in pairs on the undersides of the leaves. I had never seen this kind of insect before, so I brought a couple home in an empty water bottle.




Mystery larva, also found on the underside of the yerba leaf. It was an iridescent green.




Spider with prey




Mr. & Mrs. Timema relaxing at home. The male is on top, and even though they don't seem to be mating, they are inseperable. Both insects were sporting tiny little parasites (ticks?) which I later removed.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...